060 – The Data Explosion and Challenges for Backup
Think you know backup? Think again. Backup isn’t what it was even five years ago. There are new technologies, including the cloud, that can unburden you from the chore of backing up your data.
So if you’re doing things the old-fashioned way, this “10 on Tech” episode is for you. Dan Keldsen, Director Of Customer Innovation for Wasabi, chats with ActualTech Media’s James Green about how backup used to be done, and compares it with how backup is done by forward-thinking companies nowadays.
He also goes into detail on some specific methods organizations can use to transition from undependable and slow backup systems to modern backup systems that can save you time and money.
Show highlights include:
- The good and bad of traditional backup systems
- Why your current backup solution might be a “ticking time bomb”
- Scary examples of recent backup failures
- The shortcomings of tape backup
- A surprising tape shortage, which is starting to impact many companies’ backup strategy
- Tips for moving from on-premises backups to cloud backups
- Benefits of VTLs, or “virtual tape libraries,” and cloud gateways
- How to reclaim time in your day by moving to backup-as-a-service
- Tape-To-Cloud Migration Case Study – https://s3.wasabisys.com/wsbi-media/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Tape_to_Cloud_Marquis_and_Wasabi_White_Paper.pdf
- Comparing Pricing Between Wasabi And Amazon S3 for Secondary Storage – https://s3.wasabisys.com/wsbi-media/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Tape_to_Cloud_Marquis_and_Wasabi_White_Paper.pdf
- What Does ‘11 Nines’ of Durability Really Mean? – https://wasabi.com/blog/11-nines-durability/
- Backup and Recovery Overview – https://wasabi.com/backup-and-recovery/
- Wasabi – https://wasabi.com/
- Free Trial – https://wasabi.com/sign-up/
We hope you enjoy this episode; and don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes, Google Play, or Stitcher.